Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHAT IS THE REASON TO CARE ABOUT POSTURE?
POOR POSTURE CAN LEAD TO FAR REACHING HEALTH PROBLEMS.PROBLEMS SUCH AS NECK PAIN, BACK PAIN, HEADACHES, KNEE PROBLEMS, FOOT PROBLEMS CAN BE CAUSED BY POOR POSTURE.
2. WHAT CAUSES POOR POSTURE?
SITTING IN TOO SOFT OF COUCH OR CHAIR. LACK OF ANY EXERCISE. INJURIES SUCH AS SPORTS, EITHER LOW IMPACT WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT CAUSE SYMPTOMS, MORE SERIOUS INJURIES SUCH AS CAR ACCIDENTS, OR ANY OTHER SITUATIONS THAT RESULT IN PAIN OR TEMPORARY LIMITATIONS. WHETHER MEDIC ALLY TREATED OR NOT. PEOPLE WHO ARE TALL AND SLOUCH BECAUSE THEY DON’T LIKE TO STAND OUT…….. MANY REASONS.
3. ONE OF THE MAJOR REASONS IS A “HABIT THAT DEVELOPS OVER TIME” WHIOCH DOES NOT GET NOTICED BY THE PEOPLE WE ARE CLOSE TO ON A DAILY BASIS.
4. SLIGHT POSTURE IMBALANCES CAN GO UNDETECETED FOR SOME TIME, EVEN YEARS.
5. ALTERED POSTURE LEADS TO MUSCLE IMBALNCES WHICH OVER TIME, CAN CREATE ENOUGH STRESS ON THE BODY THAT INJURIES OCCUR, ESPECIALLY IN SPORTS, WORK AT HOME SUCH AS YARD WORK, ETC. THE STANDARD RESPPNSE IS: “I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT THAN I ALWAYS DO”
6. RESEARCH HAS SHOWN THAT ALTERED POSTURE CAN CAUSE
7. Bad posture does more than make your back and neck mad at you. Here are other ways it can hurt your health over time.
Slouching in your seat gives your lungs and diaphragm less room to do their thing, which makes it harder for you to breathe.
Organs in your belly, like your intestine may also get cramped for space, affecting how well they function.
If you let your head jut forward, a joint in your jaw could become painfully overworked.
And if you stoop forward at the waist when you walk, your knees could end up feeling sore.
Some researchers even link poor posture to slumps in mood. Sit or stand up straight, they say, and it may help you think positive.
So, keep your head up, literally. And when you're on the move, keep your shoulders back, pull your core in, and keep your knees slightly bent. Your body will thank you.
ARE YOU AN ATHLETE?
BY DETERMINING ALTERED POSTURE, WE CAN:
1. Predict injuries
2. Decrease the probability of injuries
3. If injured, document the exact tissue injury, and then document when it is actually functioning at its normal level
4. Maximize the performance level of the athlete.
WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT I WORK ALL DAY?
LESS THAN IDEAL POSTURE CAN CAUSE A DECREASE IN:
- WORK PERFORMANCE
- REDUCE YOUR ENERGY
- NEGATIVELY EFFECT YOUR IMMUNE FUNCTION
- CAUSE OR AGGRAVATE DEPRESSION
- AGGRAVATE OR CAUSE DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS
- RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS
- CARDIOVASCULAR PROBLEMS